The Bureau of Labor Statistics has made some nice upgrades to their jobs report highlights. Always makes me laugh that “drinking places” is an official government stat. Interesting too: January marks 35 consecutive months without a job loss in this industry. Food services and drinking places recovered all the jobs it lost in the most recent recession, and employment is now 441,000 above its most recent peak reached in December 2007. Prohibition be damned. Booze and other vices obviously help the economy.
The Basis Point is a mortgage and housing blog for consumers, investors, and industry pros. Topics range from rate markets, regulation, and technology to workplace, family, and pop culture. More...
- 4thQ GDP +2.2%
- Jobs Market Healthy. Manufacturing Softer.
- Mortgage Applications up. Durable Goods down.
- Core Inflation Contained.
- Signs of Miserable 1stQ2025 GDP?
- Jobs Healthy. Rest of Economy Flat.
- What Yellen Should Say.
- Housing Starts down.
- Manufacturing Weakens.
- Wholesale Prices Fall after January Record Drop.