Some good stats about wealth in and outside the U.S. from my friend Alex Teodoro, an investment advisor here in the Bay Area:
– There are 2,160 billionaires in the world.
– The combined wealth of these billionaires is $6.2 trillion.
– There are 187,380 people in the world worth at least $30 million.
– The combined wealth of the people worth $30 million or more is $25.8 trillion.
– 18 of the 40 richest people in the world are from the United States.
– The net worth of the median American family in 2010 was $77,300.
– The net worth of the median American family in 2007 was $126,400. The majority of the decline in net worth between 2007 and 2010 was due to the crash in housing prices.
– The top 10 percent of American households had an average income of $349,000 in 2010.
– The average net worth of these top 10 percent households was $2.9 million.
Alex Teodoro, CNBC, Bloomberg, New York Times