Winter ended yesterday and Spotify’s best playlist moves fast, so let’s look back on cold rhymes as Spring sun fuels our primes. Here’s what we’ve learned listening to Rap Caviar the past 3 months.
1. “First Off,” Travis Scott is still surfing a codeine wave. This time with a smooth Future feature.
2. Metro Boomin is a “Space Cadet” asking where the lean at. Addictive space age beat, but don’t forget lean is a likely culprit in Mac Miller’s tragic OD (see Fall link below).
3. Logic came through dominant with “Keanu Reeves,” it was just 6 months later than I predicted. Bitch I am The One.
4. I like J Cole “A Lot” and this song by 21 Savage features him with my favorite lyric: some make millions, others make memes, I’m on a money routine. There’s A Lot more so go check it.
5. I’ve felt the industry “Middle Child” vibe heavily the past couple years, dead in the middle of two generations, serving titans and mentoring comers. So J Cole’s Middle Child blew me away, and is on infinite repeat. Deep AF meditation on what it’s like to do the right thing for both generations while pushing to be the best yourself.
6. Because when I “Look Back At It” I want to be the good guy who finished first. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie feel me on this.
7. Naturally then, “Going Bad” by Meek Mill & Drake is my default song to get fired up this past few months.
8. I appreciate rap as much for the moods as the music, but this has been my favorite quarter musically since I started this recurring segment. Rap fans must listen to all songs mentioned.
Let me know what you think…
– Also, if you don’t appreciate these posts, please consult our music policy.